One of the first things people notice about you is your pearly white smile. Coffee, tea, smoking—we know each of these is a culprit in dimming a glowing smile and staining beautiful teeth. However, other foods and drinks out on the market may be more responsible for teeth stains than you think! Avoiding certain foods that actually harm and stain teeth can help you maintain your bright white smile.
- Tomato Sauce – This is found in all-time favorites including pizza and pasta dishes; however, this food has a high acidity and can stain tooth enamel.
- Berries – There’s nothing like fresh berries in the Vancouver summer, but the deep colors in blueberries, cranberries, and other berries are enough to cause stains on your pearly whites.
- Sports Drinks – Sports drinks, as well as bottled lemonade, can be responsible for tooth enamel erosion over a period of time. Although they often refresh and replenish you after athletic activities or on a warm summer day, the damage they have on your teeth may outweigh the purpose.
- Popsicles and Slushies – These tasty and fun treats may be great in the summer and can be fun when they stain your tongue, but they can also stain your teeth!
- Soy Sauce, Curry, Balsamic Vinegar
These foods are all capable of staining your clothes, so of course they’re capable of staining your smile as well. As a general rule, if it can ruin your white summer shirt, then it can affect your teeth.
Drinking water and brushing teeth immediately after consumption and consuming these foods in moderation are all keys to keeping your smile as bright as possible. There are also foods to help keep your smile bright. If you’d like to learn more about how to keep your mouth healthy, call to make an appointment to see Dr. Eric Dahlen today!